Saturday, August 2, 2008

the spiritual path to spain

We are in Santiago. We stayed in Arco de Pino last night. The walk in this morning was only about 12 miles, although Anselmo´s foot was acting up a bit. I was kind of shocked that there was trash all over the Camino and the signs pointing which way to go were all defaced and covered with graffiti. However the other pilgrims, of which there are lots now, were all in good spirits.

We went to the office to get our Compostela certificates. Compostela does not mean compost. It means "Field of Stars" (Campo de Stella), which stands for the field where the remains of Saint James were found in 1000 AD.

We looked at the Cathedral, which was quite impressive. I have not read about the history of the cathedral but it looks Baroque. They need to clean it like the Burgos cathedral.

Our hotel has free Internet. I will try to go online later. I don´t see the actual computer, just the keyboard and display, so I don´t think I can upload photos.

No comments: