Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The End of the Rainbow lies in Galicia

The next day we climbed the O Cebreira Pass into Galicia. The climb is supposed to be the most beautiful and spectacular of the whole trek.

We spent a long time walking into a valley, which had a very gentle ascent. After lunch, we went into the woods for a steep climb. It ended at a "Delightful Hillside Village". I got there first and started looking for a fountain to fill up my water bottle. I could not find one, an a girl offered me some of her water. When Anselmo got there, I was standing in front of a fountain that said "Water not potable" and offered him a drink out of my water bottle. He got a horrified look on his face and said "You can´t drink that water". Ha ha he is so predictable.

The final walk to the O Cebreira village, on the mountain ridge was breathtaking.

I only have a few minutes so let me say that the mountains there are covered with a yellow bush called Broom. It is like Forsithia but it is not. It is so beautiful. It looks like the mountains have been painted yellow. I have never seen anything like that before.

The Pyrenees had a lot of pink heather, and some of the hillsides looked pink, but nothing like this blazing color.

No comments: