Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Montenegro

One day I rented a car and drove down to the Bay of Kotor in Montenegro. It was kind of a long day, with too much driving, but the bay is beautiful.

The walled city (maybe more of a town) of Kotor is much more manageable than Dubrovnik. What I mean is that there are no cruise ships in the harbor. Perhaps it's too small. There were plenty of restaurants and tourists, and the town was impressive.

The whole coast is full of little coves, and seems to be popular with beachgoers. There were some large hotels, but mainly people seemed to be staying in smaller places. An interesting island is Sveti Stefan. Well, it's almost an island since there's a small causeway that leads to it. The whole place is a resort for the rich crowd, so all I could do is have a look at it from a cliff on the mainland.

Interestingly, they use the Euro in Montenegro. I'll have to learn more about the recent history of the are when I get home. I know that Montenegro declared independence from Serbia not too long ago, but how did they end up with the Euro?

I wish I'd spent a night or two in Kotor.

I'm now back in Sarajevo and headed to London to meet Mary later today. I'd have to say that Sarajevo is my favorite of all these places. The old town is full of cafes, people are very friendly, there are few other tourists, and it's cheap.

No comments: