Sunday, July 13, 2008

Santo Domingo

We have been staying in hotels for several stages because they don´t change the linen in the hostels. The last hostel we stayed in, the dust mites caused Anselmo´s allergies to really kick up.

We found him some Zyrtec but we have been in hotels ever since. Hair dryers! Bathrooms to myself!

But it's a bit lonely. The Albergues (hostels) are very social.

Yesterday we had a short stage. This was good because I was getting really exhausted. At Logrono and at Najera, I passed out as soon as I got to the hotel room and had to be woken up to go to dinner.

We walked from Najera to Santo Domingo. It was a beautiful walk over a mountainside covered with Rioja Vineyards.

It was really cold and it was supposed to rain. I had left my long pants and sweater behind so all I had for warmth was my rain jacket! I was in trouble!

However, while walking I could keep warm.

Santo Domingo was founded by a saint of the same name, who lived in the 11th century and built a lot of facilities for Santiago Pilgrims. He built a pilgrim hospital in the town of Santo Domingo. That hospital was converted in modern times into one of the Spanish Paradors, where we stayed in the height of luxury. As soon as we got there it started raining buckets. Anselmo went and did out laundry at a laundromat while I started another 14-hour sleep marathon! Well, I watched a few nature shows on TV in addition to sleeping.

I think the Spanish custom of eating nothing for breakfast and lunch plus the long stages has really worn me out. I was hoping to slim down but instead I´m just getting really tired. Liz will kill me for not eating. Okay, I am going to try harder to eat breakfast and lunch. However, we just found out that there will be no cafes open in the morning when we hike out.

It was really cold in Santo Domingo. Anselmo brought two pairs of pants. He would not let me wear his spare pair!!! I was pissed!!!!!

No comments: