Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Snake in the River

The next day we trekked from Molina Seca to Villafranca.

It was a long walk.

Okay, I motored over the Cruz de Ferro pass like the
Little Engine that Could
, and it must have tired me out. I was tired almost as soon as we started walking.

We walked through a city called Ponferrada. I generally hated it and whined all day. Maybe the less said the better.

We have not seen very much wildlife on this trek. They do not have pesky animals like deer, raccoons or squirrels here for example. In fact, I think that Spain could use a few more animals, and I would be happy to contribute a few.

They do have fish in the rivers however. I stopped at a bridge to look in the water and see fish. To my immense surprise, I saw a 3-foot long snake swimming across the rocky river bottom. He was white with black leopard spots. I watched him for 15 minutes and I did not see him come up to breathe!

After that, I whined my way through beautiful hilly vineyards. We are in a green farming area of Spain. It is called the Berceria. They grow grapes for wine, apples, pears, and some weird sounding meat.

We ended up in a town called Villafranca which was beautiful but I was too tired to care and crashed as soon as I could.

No comments: