Monday, July 7, 2008

the Heights of Excuse Me

Last night we had a lovely dinner with the Norwegian mother and daughter, Astrid and Marion.

I developed shin splints on my left leg and was worried about it, but Marion cured it with her magic foot cream. She got it from the Internet. It contains some homeopathic herbs. I wish I remembered what they were!!

After that we went to bed. I was not bothered by however many snoring men were in my room since I had my ear plugs.

This morning we crossed the Altos de Perdon. (means Heights of Pardon) This is a mountain near Pamplona. It contains metal statues of Santiago pilgrims. It was really windy up there. There was a water fountain there.

The story of the fountain is that a pilgrim was dying of thirst. The Devil was disguised as another pilgrim. He told the dying pilgrim that he would give him some water if he would renounce God. The dying pilgrim refused! Then Saint James appeared and created the fountain!

Once again I scampered up the mountain at top speed. I need to learn to pace myself and move a little slower so I don´t get so tired. There are so many flowers! Today there was pink heather on the mountain. I saw a hummingbird moth, a cute little insect that looks just like a hummingbird, hovering around some lavender. I may buy some colored pencils and paper and start sketching some of the wild flowers here. Today I also saw a lot of purple and pink Salvia, growing wild.

We visited a beautiful medieval chapel. It was octagonal in shape. It had an octagonal cloister. It was called Eunate. Hmm. It was in the middle of the country and very pretty and peaceful.

Okay I had better go. We are staying in a lovely hotel made from an old stone house. I washed my hair. Haha my own bathroom for a price.

No comments: